Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The addictions of Thai Cafe

Also referred to by a small group of co-workers and friends as "The Crack House" because of it's addictive nature...and before I go on I need to include this little disclaimer:

Disclaimer- I do not condone the use of drugs and in no way actually believe that Thai Cafe is  actually using crack or any sort of narcotic in the food. It is just a figment of speech. 

But back to Thai Cafe...It's in a small strip mall off of University Drive and 15/501 in Durham, NC. It doesn't look like much from the outside but the servers are friendly and the food is fantastic! My friends, Rebecca and Bailey, introduced me to this gem. The first time I went, I ordered the Shrimp Pad Thai. I always judge a Thai restaurant by their Pad Thai as it is usually the most popular dish. It was delicious. At lunch, you get a bowl of coconut soup or the house salad with your meal. I always get the house salad as I am in love with Asian dressings. This particular dressing is a ginger dressing. The minced ginger in this dressing is what makes the dish so delicious and spot-on. When the Pad Thai comes out, it looks delicious and smells even better. Their peanut sauce is light and just what you'd expect with Pad Thai. The mix of vegetables, bean sprouts, peanuts and perfectly-cooked shrimp were absolutely delightful. I must say, though, that this is not the best dish they have...which brings me to how we named this place "The Crack House." 

Chicken Masaman
Chicken Masaman. Thin slices of chicken tossed with roasted cashews over top sliced avocado and covered in the traditional Masaman curry sauce (which is a mild coconut milk based sauce with tamarind, cinnamon, cardamom and other sweet spices to create a "curry" that is hard to explain but must be tried). One bite of this dish and you are hooked. You wake up thinking about it! We've had to go at least once a week to get our "fix" of this Thai splendor. I'd recommend spending the extra $1.50 to get brown rice, instead of white because the awesome texture of this whole-grain rice (and I am a texture person when it comes to food) adds to the overall experience.

This is a must-try for this area, especially if you are a Thai food fan, as I am.

One extra little tip, try to save room for dessert (keyword is "try" because it will be really hard but if you are super disciplined and can immediately ask for a to-go box to put half your meal in, I suggest that) because right around the corner is Local Yogurt, which is such a great place, it deserves it's own post so stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment