Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bags and Baggage

As I was on my way home from work today, I saw this girl. I've seen this girl before. Well, not this particular girl, but the type. She's the one you always see carrying at least four different bags strapped over both shoulders, doing to stop-n-shrug while hurrying to her car because she's so uncomfortable under the weight and awkwardnes. I've definitely seen this type of girl before (and guys too, for that matter). 

So I'm looking at her, and I'm wondering what on earth could she actually need all those bags for? I mean, does she really need that backpack and that messenger bag and that purse, and that tote bag? So then I start making up her story in my mind (as I often do when I catch a quick glimpse into someone's life)...Maybe she is a student and an intern, she has her backpack because she came straight from class, then she has her purse for her wallet, keys and phone (which is conveniently always packed and ready to go), the messenger bag is for her gym clothes and that tote bag holds her lunch leftovers and maybe a notebook. But does she really need to be carrying all that stuff? Can't it be consolidated somehow?

Then I start thinking about my own bag that I take back and forth to work every day. Nowadays, it's pretty heavy. In fact, I hardly know what's in it because I never go through it (except when I'm trying to find that darn chapstick or a piece of gum or my keys!). It holds my wallet and keys, a little umbrella, some chapstick, and a bunch of other crap that just weighs me down. Then there are times I have to bring home my computer. But with all that extra crap in my bag, my computer doesn't fit, which means I have to bring home my chunky computer bag. And if I bring my lunch in a Pyrex dish that day, I have to bring that home in another bag. Then there I am, that poor girl I saw today, with all those bags, rushing to my car in the heat, trying not to do the stop-n-shrug too many times on the way! It's madness! I mean, honestly, what do I really have in my bag that I actually need every day? Why do I feel the need to carry all of it with me every single day? It's more than just a "you never know..." or "just in case..." type of bag packing. It's just that it's convenient to leave things in there and not worry about them, let them build up, and not even realize how much it's weighing me down until I can't take it anymore, or I am questioning someone else who's doing the same thing! Why not downsize? Why not get rid of all that extra baggage? I mean, honestly, if you don't make room for it, there's no place to put it!

And here's the part where the revelation comes...as I'm thinking about this, on my drive home, I also realize that this simple principle can be applied to life. Think about it. Instead of dealing with or dismissing certain things, we just let them pile up and become clutter in our lives. We let things build up because it's convenient to ignore them for the moment. We let all the little "crap" build up and weigh down on us. It just doesn't make sense. We should deal with it and move on or dismiss it from our lives altogether. Then, as I'm driving, I laugh as I realize...I just gave my own, new meaning to the term "baggage". 


So that's it! I'm cleaning out my bag tonight. I already feel that weight lifted off my shoulders (both literally and figuratively). I'm getting rid of all that crap that I don't need in my life anymore and moving on to a lighter bag and an ever lighter look on life! Go empty your own bags and get rid of all that extra weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment