Sunday, September 26, 2010

Scratch is exactly what it's made from

Scratch got it's claim to fame around here from it's regular appearances at the local farmer's markets so imagine the pure delight of everyone when they opened an actual shop with brick walls on a side street in downtown Durham!

There is no typical menu. All their ingredients come from local farmers, made from scratch daily, which means the menu changes daily. There's always something different. Everything from chorizo, tomato and farmer's cheese empanadas to fresh eggplant focaccia. They also have daily side salads and of course, deliciously sweet baked goods. Stop by for a hot cup of fresh-brewed coffee, or my personal favorite: the bowl of hot chocolate. Yes, I said bowl. I'll be spending many winter days hanging out in this quaint little cafe.
 
On this particular visit, I had a butternut squash tart. The savory filling in a typical pastry dough was fabulous. The salad of the moment (as I like to call it) was a beet salad. I've always grown up thinking I don't like beets. I definitely don't like pickled beets. But in the name of the blog, I had to try it. Well, let's just say I'm going to be trying beets more often. This beet salad was almost like a slaw, with a vinegar-based dressing over thinly shredded beets, mixed with a fabulous variety of herbs. It was amazing!

Of course, you can't leave Scratch without having one of their made from scratch desserts. Typically I'd recommend their famous doughnut muffins. Yes, I said doughnut muffins. It's everything you love about doughnuts, combined with everything you love about muffins (mainly the shape and the texture of the muffin top). Tell me that doesn't sound amazing. Well you don't have to tell me because it is. Another favorite (and one of their other usuals) is their chocolate and sea salt tort. It's the perfect salty/sweet combination! But this time, something else caught my eye. The heirloom apple crisp. The apples were the perfect combination of tart and sweet, topped with a delectable crunchy topping. It was the perfect end to the meal, and the perfect beginning to my afternoon food coma. 

Whether you stop in for a bowl of hot chocolate and a fresh-made pastry, or to sit for a delightful lunch, you'll love Scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment