Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dos Perros

Dos Perros is a Mexican restaurant in Durham, inspired by traditional taquerias.

As I swear is necessary in every Mexican-style restaurant, we ordered the guac. It was really great. Simple and delicious, with just the right amount of onion (which I think many places overpower the guac with...Dos Perros minces the onion so you don't get big chunks in each bite) and a slight kick. The salsa that was also served was a great surprise, although I must admit that it caught me off-guard when I took my first bite. Instead of the usual tomato salsa, this salsa had fruit pureed into it (it has not been confirmed, but it seemed like mango...or maybe peach?), which was a fantastic treat. The sweet and spicy was a perfect combination atop a salty, freshly homemade chip and smooth guacamole.

Another appetizer, that as soon as I saw it on the menu I knew I couldn't pass it up, was the sweet potato empanada with a chipotle, fig sauce. Another great spicy/sweet combination. The empanadas themselves were delicious. The outside empanada shell was infused with chipotles to bring out more of the smokey, spicy flavor of the dish. The chipotle, fig sauce was an unusual but delicious complement.

As for the main course, they keep it simple. The carnita burrito was stuffed with their twice cooked chipotle pork, rice, beans, Oaxaca cream, and their unique pico de gallo, which includes lettuce and cucumbers in a sweet vinegar to add to the traditional pico de gallo flavors. The tortilla was soft but crispy from the grill. The meat was tender. It was a great meal. 


If you're looking for an authentic, taqueria-style Mexican meal, you definitely need to try Dos Perros.

No comments:

Post a Comment